Saturday, August 03, 2019

Saturday Scribble - August 3rd 2019

Each week I write a Saturday Scribble for a Running Page on Facebook I've been active in for a number of years. Might as well add it to my blog each week as well, for posterity... Here is this weeks edition..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good morning all, and Happy Holiday Weekend everyone. Yep, it's August already, and by now many people will be racking up the miles in training as DCM40 starts to really get into focus.

No need to panic yet, still plenty of time to hone those muscles, build up the cardio, and be in top shape come the next Holiday Weekend in October. I trust everyone's training has been going well, although I know some will be feeling niggles, thinking everything is going wrong, you've not got enough miles in the legs, etc, etc..

Seriously, don't panic.. If you've missed a few sessions, had to sit out a few days with a sore calf, tight hamstring, don't rush back, don't over do it, definitely don't try and play catch up and make up the missing miles... You'll be fine, and you'll cross that finishing line come October feeling fantastic, and if it's your first Marathon, you'll shed a wee tear as you do..

I'm well aware, especially where I stand in my running renewal, that not everyone is focused on DCM. Like me, many of you may be coming back to running from an enforced layoff, it may be a case of regaining the mojo having become disillusioned with running, and for others, you may have just started your running road.

For us, the targets may be very different. Simply getting out for a run can be tough. This week, I restarted, and I confess it was a struggle. I set a very conservative goal of running 2km, and managed it, but it was tough, and I'll be out again today, and my new goal, 2.25km. Very soft you might say, but, when you are starting up, or over, don't overdo it. Be realistic in what you can achieve. Set yourself goals, short and medium.. Don't worry about that long term goal, stick to today and tomorrow, the future will come... I've set a medium target of being back at #parkrun on the 17th, two weeks away, but today, it's 2.25 km, nothing more.

One thing about being out of the sport for so long, is that I'm not as up to date with races taking place up and down the country. As it's a Holiday Weekend I know that there will be lots of people lining up on the start line somewhere, so, wherever you may be running, be it a race, a trail, a tough training session with friends, or a 2.25km run close to home as you start over, or even your first run to the corner, always remember, we do this for fun, and ENJOY!

No comments: