Monday, August 24, 2015

Boston 2018 - First Stop, Sevilla!

OK - OK - Here it is - But be patient, there whole story has to be followed....

I was lucky enough to run Boston Marathon back in 2001, and I promised myself I would be back one day, as I didn't do myself justice that day, running 4:08 in the iconic Marathon. Now, unless you get a charity place, you have to qualify for Boston, and for one reason or another I have never got near the qualifying time (age related) since.

In March 2018, I will celebrate my 60th burpday, and the Boston Marathon takes place a month later, in April. At this moment in time, the qualifying time for M60 is 3:55 (as against the 3:40 for M55, my present age group). The qualifying period for 2018 starts in September 2016, so if I run under 3:55 next October in Dublin, I will have managed a qualifying time. (For some reason, your time, even if run 18 months before your birthday qualifies you at the age you are for the day you actually race - Are you still following?).....

SO, as most of you know, I am not running DCM this year, with my aim this year to re-build my body and get ready for the challenge ahead. SO, to this end, and thanks to Darren putting the seed into my head, (and hopefully joining us there) I am entering the Seville Marathon in Spain next February, exactly 26 weeks away from now, and hence today is the start of my training plan.

As I said, not THAT exciting, except to me, but I hope you will share the journey along the way to Boston 2018 - First Stop, Seville Feb 16, and there are certain to be other stops, and starts, along the way. ‪#‎RSProadtrip‬ ‪#‎RSPBoston2018‬ .... Now if anyone can come up with a snappy tag line for my journey, let me know....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was there cheering you on in 2001 and will be there in 2018 big brother!,,