Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Hopes for 2015

Having reflected back on 2014, I can now look forward to the New Year and a New Running Plan.

What are my hopes and aspirations. Well, I have entered a few races already, and set myself some targets, and I guess one way of checking myself is to publish them, and then I have no excuse if I fail.

First up is the Raheny 5M at the end of January. Nothing too high here, as it's winter, and the weather can always play a part in destroying over ambitious targets. I will be happy to have a time that starts with a 41... It will point me in the right direction...

Next up on the target list, with entry paid up, is the Ballycotton 10m on March 8th. This is a race I have run four times in the past, 2002, 03, 06 and 08. With a best time back in 2006 of 1:15:50, this time I will be aiming to run it faster than I did in 2008, which was 1:23:50, slightly ambitious, average pace needed of 5:12 per Km, or 8:22 per mile, but a goal should be hard, but achievable...

Whilst entries aren't open for the Dublin Race Series yet, I'm aiming to run these, with the Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon in August already subscribed for. I'll reconsider these specific races after Ballycotton, but in loose terms - here are my time goals for the year, subject to staying fit all year - something that hasn't happened in many a year!

5Km - General time goal of getting under 22:30, and when it comes to Waterstown Parkrun, I want to get near to 23 minutes on that tough course!

5M (or 8Km) - Raheny mentioned above with a 41 and change target, but as the year progresses I would hope to get near to 38 minutes again.

10Km - Not that many races at this distance on the Race Calendar, but I would dearly love to get back into the mid 40's for this distance, but I'll settle for a sub 50 to start.

10M - Ballycotton above, and Frank Duffy will be targetted in August for a decent time - Hopefully well under the 1:20 mark, something I have failed to achieve on three previous attempts at that particular race.

1/2 Mar - Two planned, with possibly a third thrown in there. However I will be looking to run a sub 1:50 later in the year, I'd like to aim for 1:45, but if I manage 1:49:59 I'll be happy.

MAR - Realistically, no plans to run one this year, as I want to concentrate on re-building everything and enjoying my running, instead of focusing on the training needed to run a Marathon. If I do have a good year, I may up my training for DCM, but I wouldn't want to simply run one for the sake of it.

I also intend to run Parkruns as often as I can, because they are great, and I do have one other great goal that will be achieved on July 10th at 3pm, I'm getting married!!!! Now there is one race that I can honestly say I am looking forward to running!!!

Happy Running Everyone (Or to both of you reading my blog these days!!!)

2 comments:

Den McCarthy said...

Well done Liam. It's good to plan ahead and sign up for a few runs. I haven't got my finger out yet but will do at least 2 Marathons and plenty of Half Marathons. Having Run The Kingdom organise so many locally, I will be busy, that's for sure.
Best wishes to you both for married life.

Liam said...

Cheers Den, not quite sure which is more daunting, the training or the wedding :)