Saturday, September 20, 2014

And the improvement continues!


Another Saturday morning, following a good week of increased training. This week I have run two longer runs of 7.5 Km at around 5:30 pace, and on Friday morning I ran a 1.88 Km speed trail, for want of a description, clocking a 4:37 pace, which set me in good stead for the Parkun on Saturday morning.

I was aware that our Parkrun Director had been looking at the idea of amending the course a little, to try and take the sting out of the "gentle incline" we have faced at the end, and true to her word there was a slightly different start and finish, with the sharp sting taken out, however, it leaves a long steady climb instead, and I have to say, despite my time today, I'm not sure which I prefer. But I rush ahead of myself.

With the downhill start shorter, it was easy to get into the right pace, and I easily got into a rhythm without overdoing it. Given the Half Marathon in the Phoenix Park this morning, there were less faster runners than usual, and the field was a little strung out. I managed to catch and pass two runners after the first kilometre, and wasn't passed by anyone. As this was a new route, I couldn't judge the splits from previous weeks, but felt I was running better, and as the second lap around the river was closing, I knew I didn't have to face the steep climb, instead we had a longer loop of a climb, less steep, but a longer challenge. Took it steady, as I wasn't sure what it would be like, and once I hit the top, kicked on to the finish, a little further away than from the old course, and less jelly in the legs, crossing the line in 25:28. There is a question over the distance being 100% accurate, but it wouldn't be much out, if any, so I'm more than happy with the time, augurs well for next Sunday and the crack at the Rathfarnham 5K.

No comments: