Tuesday, March 27, 2012

6 WEEKS FLAT OUT - AN UPDATE

My back first started to give me a problem on Monday Feb 13th, and that morning, feeling as if I has trapped a nerve, I did't go for planned run, hoping that I could make a run the following day, which wouldn't make a big difference in my plan for Santiago.

Move forward 6 weeks, to March 27th, today. I should be tapering for Sunday's Marathon. Instead, I spent the morning at the hospital, having further X-Rays on my back, and an ultrasound, they ruled out pregnancy, as they wanted to check the kidneys (no problem there). I am still flat on my back 23 hours a day, find it very tiring to stand for any length, and almost impossible to sit down, as the problem lies in the lower back, right where you bend to sit down. The actual disc is out of place at the front of the vertebrae, hence the deep-set issue of the problem. I have a change in medication, although all that does is bring down the inflammation for a few hours - easing the pain. Another two weeks of bed, interspersed with some walking, using a medical corset to keep me upright.

So, there you go, I am a crock. I have no idea when I will be back active. To be honest, I don't know when I will be back walking properly, let alone running, but one thing is for sure, I WILL. Watch this space...........................................

3 comments:

sidney said...

Well, thank goodness they ruled out pregnancy. That might be hard to explain! What drugs are you on?

Liam said...

I am now on Pregabaline, Blokium. Ranitidine, anf Tizanidine, if that helps. Had a Cotisone Injection yesaterday, and up umtil now I was on oxa B12. which is a cortisone based pain nullifier and anti-inflammatory, now replaced by the cortisone free Blokium/ Nice coctail......

Theia said...

Oh no!! I'm so sorry that you're laid up. But not sorry that you're not knocked up!