Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Post Philly and Preparations for Surf City

Home safely and Philly is just a memory, a very fond one, helped by the pictures that are plentiful and available for all to see here - Please take a look and tell me what you think of the festivities :)

But as ever, once a race is over, thoughts turn to the next stage of the plan, the next target. I wonder do I really have a plan, or am I running on wishful thinking. My goal has been to Boston Qualify again for 2008 - I'm already cutting in fine by aiming for Surf City - It's less than ten weeks away, I'm at least 15 lbs overweight for a decent time, and since the 13 in Philly, I have managed no more than 3.5 miles at any one run, and that was gentle - Am I too ambitious in my plans?

Maybe I should reflect on the fact that I am 49, nearly 50, and my speed is behind me. Concentrate on what I enjoy doing and maybe then the BQ will come in time. Or maybe I should steer clear of the Xmas Parties, work my butt off in the next two months, and be as ready as I can be for Surf City and try my damnest to get that 3:35:59..............

OK - I've convinced myself - I'm going to work hard. Tonight it was a 5K on the dreadmill - it was 8:30 pace, a 26:13 clocking, but a run when I wasn't really up for one - The work starts tonight. A 5K Jingle Bell race on Sunday will be the first real step on the road to California, no target here, just a good run and hope that I can dedicate myself for another 70 days of graft.....

No comments: